Saturday, May 8, 2010

Being 60 (week 1 - by Margaret Ullrich)

I like it.  I really, really like it.

Okay... I don't want to sound totally like Sally Field, but being 60 is starting off rather well.  I'm in good health for my age, my marriage is okay, we have good friends and I enjoy what I do.  

I started Face Book a few months ago, so there were a few surprise birthday greetings from people I hadn't heard from in years.  We're talking decades here.

I wanted low key, no friends jumping out from behind the couch, and that's what I got.  Just nice calm greetings and chats with friends.

A cake and candles, of course, and some gifts.


The only minor twinges came from a couple of birthday greetings from relatives.  They love to turn my birthday into a stroll down memory lane.  Way down memory lane.  

This was my first birthday after both my parents had passed away.  

I was born on the island of Malta.  My parents were supposed to have left Malta with my father's single sister and their married sister, her husband and their 6 year old daughter that day.  But, Ma was pregnant, so my parents decided to leave 3 months later.  Pop's sisters couldn't wait to conquer New York.  So in August my parents had to make the crossing alone with me.  I wasn't at my best.  I had colic.

Anyway, a couple of my relatives like to take my birthday and talk about coming to America in 1950.

I don't usually have much to add. 

This year I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. Spam will not be posted.