Saturday, January 12, 2013

Carmela Soprano's Peppers and Eggs Sandwiches


Bought more peppers than you used for the marinating peppers recipe?
No problem.

Back to Paulie's chapter My Nucci in Artie's The Sopranos Family Cookbook.
But it's a great way to use peppers.


If you'd like to be a bit neater, you can dice the pepper strips.
Diced peppers are also nice in a salad.

I will get to the potatoes and egg sandwich recipe.


                        Peppers and Eggs Sandwiches

Serves 4

In a large nonstick skillet heat 
3 Tablespoons olive oil
Add
1 large red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into 1-inch strips
1 large green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into 1-inch strips
salt to taste
Cook, stirring often, for 15 minutes, until they are browned.
Cover and cook for 5 minutes, until they are tender.

While the peppers are cooking, beat 
8 large eggs
salt and pepper to taste
Pour the eggs over the peppers. 
Let the eggs set.
Turn the peppers and eggs.
Allow the eggs to set.
Stir and cook until the eggs are done.

Cut a lengthwise slit in
1 long loaf Italian or French bread
Pull out the soft middle.
Fill the bread with the peppers and eggs.
Cut into 4 sandwiches.  Serve warm.


Would I make Peppers and Eggs Sandwiches again?
Of course.
It beats the hell out of Cheese Whiz.
Yes, I will get to it.


One recipe down.  Fifty-four more to go.  

6 comments:

  1. I enjoy mine with some tasty buttered mushrooms ,pepperoni's and semi sharpe provelone added to the same recipe ...tasty

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Grandfather's favorite sandwich was asparagus and egg sandwiches. I make them all the time! Every time I do,it reminds me of him. My grandmother also made the pepper version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. try adding a couple of splashes of Italian dressing

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Nona used to make this by first marinading the peppers and onions in tiny bit of red wine vinegar and a touch of sugar and oil fry them until they caramelize then add the eggs. It makes it taste more rich

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a family favorite from when I was a kid. My heart grandmother taught me how to make them. In her recipe it was 1 hot pepper to every 4-5 bell peppers and 2 eggs per bell pepper. I loved them so much and the hotter the better. My grandfather would tell my grandmother, who also made this wonderful dish, too at more hot peppers to see if they'd be too hot for Selina. There wasn't such a thing as too hot for me to eat. I loved them, still do. I think I appreciate them more than the rest of my family though. Just means more for me. We have always served them with sliced white or French bread though, not in a sub version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! The wonderful thing about a great recipe is that it can adapt to variations.
      Enjoy your favourite HOT variation!
      Stay well!

      Delete

All comments are moderated. Spam will not be posted.