Saturday, January 18, 2014

Eaton’s original Red Velvet Cake by Margaret Ullrich

When I was the mom of a preschooler back in 1984 I had a dream for my future.
This goal crystallized for me in a moment of crisis.

I was in Winnipeg's downtown Eaton's, on the third floor.
Yes, the third floor where the crystal and fine china were on display.

I had to pay a cashier and had let go of my son’s hand.
In less than a heartbeat he was racing toward the crystal and fine china department.
Of course he wouldn’t be running to anything cheap.
I ran and grabbed him just as he reached out to a crystal goblet.
Financial disaster averted.

And I had a moment, like Scarlet O’Hara had a moment, in Gone With the Wind.
You know, the moment she had at Tara just after she barfed after eating a raw carrot.
When she swore, “As God is my witness, I’ll never be hungry again.”
Believe me, I was swearing, too, but my food goal was more specific.

I was dreaming of a future when I could go to Eaton’s without hauling a child in tow.
When I could browse through the crystal without picturing a major financial disaster.
A time when I could casually stroll into the Grill Room, and order a lovely adult meal.
When I could leisurely enjoy a well prepared lunch, topped off with Red Velvet Cake.

A time that has gone with the wind, literally.
Eaton’s is gone.
It was torn down over a decade ago.
The MTS Centre is in its place.

Last week Pink performed there.
I know Pink’s received the Billboard 2013 Woman of the Year Award.
I know she puts on a really good show.
It’s just that watching Pink is not what I pictured enjoying as a senior.

Eaton’s is a memory from my past.
Luckily I still have the recipe for Eaton’s original Red Velvet Cake.

     
                                     Red Velvet Cake

Preheat oven to 350º
Grease well 3 9-inch round pans or 1 9x13-inch pan

Sift 
2 1/2 Cups cake flour

Make a paste of
2 ounces red food colouring
2 Tablespoons cocoa
1 teaspoon salt

In a bowl cream
1/2 Cup shortening
Add gradually
1 1/2 Cups white sugar
Beat until light and fluffy.
Add one at a time
2 large eggs
Beat after each addition.
Add cocoa / food colouring mixture.

Mix
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 Cup buttermilk

Combine
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 Tablespoon vinegar
Add to the buttermilk.

Add flour alternately with buttermilk mixture to the shortening,
3 dry and 2 liquid additions, stirring just enough to blend.
Mix until smooth and pour into prepared pan.
Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until done.
Cool cake thoroughly before frosting.


While the cake is baking, prepare

Frosting

In a saucepan place
5 Tablespoons flour
Add gradually
1 Cup milk
Mix until smooth.
Cook at medium heat until thickened.  
Remove from heat.

While the sauce is cooling, in a medium bowl cream together
1 Cup butter
1 Cup confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Beat until light and fluffy.
Add cooled flour mixture to the butter / sugar mixture a spoonful at a time, 
beating well after each addition.
Spread frosting over the cooled cake.

Enjoy with Earl Grey Tea in your best china cup.

4 comments:

  1. I miss the old Eaton's. Ladies in hats used to meet there for elegant lunches. The Red Velvet Cake and the Butter Tarts were fantastic. At Christmas, each store window had a different scene from the North Pole or Toyland, full of magically moving automatons: elves, reindeer, teddy bears.

    These days, Salisbury House has Red Velvet Cake. Not quite the same thing. And they make it with Cream Cheese Icing, which just isn't right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Pamela,

    Me, too. Downtown hasn't been the same since they tore down Eaton's. The MTS Centre just brings people in for evening shows, not for the whole day, as Eaton's did.

    It's good that the Christmas Village was saved. How magical it was before we took CGI effects for granted. Oh, the Christmas store windows!!! I love that scene in 'A Christmas Story' - that's what a Christmas window was for children. Big box stores and malls just can't create the same magic.

    You don't know what you've got, till it's gone.

    Cream Cheese Icing? And what do they put on carrot cake?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandma would LOVE it if I made this recipe for her! She talks about Eaton's all the time and the treats she enjoyed there with her grandparents. Thanks for sharing! And it's nice to "meet" a fellow Manitoba food blogger, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Chrissie!

    Happy to meet a fellow Manitoba food blogger!
    Yes, your grandma would enjoy a slice or two of Eaton's cake! That store was such an important part of our lives back then. Oh, well, time marches on.

    Very impressed by your blog http://www.thebusybaker.ca

    Wishing you a great summer!

    ReplyDelete