Saturday, August 10, 2013

Anna Sultana's Pixxispad Mixwi - Grilled Swordfish, Maltese Style


A while ago I posted Carmela's recipe for Tonno alla Griglia.
Tuna Steaks with Lemon and Oregano.
It's an excellent recipe for the barbecue.

Ma had a recipe for Grilled Swordfish.
She couldn't easily find it, either.

Ah… swordfish.
It's something guaranteed to bring a smile to my local butcher/fish monger.
He gets a laugh whenever I ask for exotic ingredients.
Swordfish is exotic for a shop in the north end of Winnipeg.
I should take pleasure in knowing I make him laugh.
I should, but I don't.
He also enjoys teaching me.
Which I don't mind.

Swordfish is a bit of a problem.
I wrote about it in the post for Carmela's Swordfish Rolls.
So I won't repeat all the history here.
Just a reminder - swordfish has high levels of mercury.

If your butcher doesn't have any swordfish steaks, don't worry.
Swordfish, an oily fish, has firm and thick steaks, which grill well.
You can substitute mackerel or tuna.
Mackerel, tuna and shrimp are rich sources of omega-3 fatty acids.
Shrimp has low levels of mercury and is considered heart healthy.
You can also use skinless, boneless chicken breast.
Which is always available, and is often on sale.

Hint:
The pan should be 4 inches from the heat.


                        Pixxispad Mixwi

Serves 4

Prepare a medium hot fire in a grill, either charcoal or gas.
Or preheat the gas grill or broiler.

In a small bowl whisk together
4 Tablespoons olive oil
2 Tablespoon lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 Tablespoon parsley, chopped

Generously brush with seasoned olive oil
4 swordfish steaks, about 1 inch thick
Season with
salt and pepper to taste

Grill the swordfish, turning once, about 10 minutes.
While grilling, baste frequently with the seasoned olive oil.

Serve immediately with lemon wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. Spam will not be posted.