Saturday, November 27, 2010

Writing & Holidays - Being 60 (week 30 - by Margaret Ullrich)

Got some lovely news this week.

One of my stories, "Easter Bread", is going to be included in the Bemidji State University's publication, Dust & Fire 2011.  The issue is an anthology of women's voices, and it will be published in March, 2011.  It will be launched at the American Indian Resource Center in Minnesota.

I'm quite honored and pleased that they accepted my story.

But, I'm also finding it a bit of a giggle.


The story is about the Easter breads my Sicilian Aunt and my Maltese Ma baked when I was a kid.

Okay... a story about a Columba di Pasqua and a Figoli prepared by the moms in an immigrant kid's family in Queens, New York in the 1950s and 1960s.  The immigrant kid is now a "senior citizen" who's been married for 38 years to a German/Swede who was born in New York.  We've been living in Winnipeg, Manitoba since 1975.  The story is being published in Minnesota and launched in the American Indian Resource Center.

Wowee!!!
What a funny path my life has taken.
What a multicultural world it is!!


Ma would understand.
  
Everyone has a Ma.  
Everyone has family... parents, aunts, uncles, cousins.  
Everyone eats food.  
Everyone has traditions.

We have more in common than not.
Does it matter what nationality anyone is?

Multiculturalism is nice for new recipes.
We shouldn't be blinded by costumes or customs.


Peace, love, health, everyone.

Sahha.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. Spam will not be posted.